[bdNOG] Proof of a Geolocation of an IP address

Nurul Islam Roman nurul at apnic.net
Wed Dec 10 08:53:10 BDT 2014

Hi Moin,

You have already got some ideas from the list members. But my inline
questions are to clarify few thing:

>We have a router in London. We have IP blocks assigned on the interfaces;
assigned by APNIC. Loopback IP is also assigned from the same /24 block. The
catch is our our ASN and IP address is registered >for a company in Singapore.

Is it legitimate registration record? Is it something that RIR need to fix?

>Now the point is how can we prove to a client that:
>1. We have a router in London
>2. The traceroute report showing the IP address is assigned in our London-Dhaka
Router interfaces.
>3. I can use APNIC assigned IP address in my London router. And various
traceroute reports from various sites who uses reverse whois lookup from APNIC
will always show my IP address as Singapore.

Yes you can if you are co-located. I can dig it (from APNIC DB record to
check consistency) if you provide me the IP address off-list. Otherwise for
3rd party geolocation IP information they are open to use any other source
(Not always APNIC whois).

-R