[bdNOG] How does Google select their Cache Engine IP nearest to the request sender?

Muhammad Moinur Rahman 5u623l20 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 18:32:03 BDT 2014

Hi Aniruddha Da,

Due to NDA I cannot disclose much. But so far my work they emphasize on
advertising the prefix of your resolver.

Let's say you are using a resolver A.B.C.D. This prefix or a longer version
is advertised to Cache Node. When you are querying for one of their records
they somehow check if your resolver is advertised towards any of the Cache
node's BGP feed. If it finds it in any of their Nodes they reply with an IP
address from that block otherwise they reply from their block. They do not
check any other BGP attributes just the availability of the prefix.

Hope this meets your thirst. If not let me know. Maybe next week we can
meet somewhere. I will be in CTG to deploy the same for you. 3:)

BR,
Moin