[bdNOG] Plain Simple v4 routing over v6

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Mar 10 01:56:10 BDT 2020

Hello,

I didn't see an answer to your question, so I thought I'd try.

First: "everyone might think of flame throwing but I would really
appreciate a positive feedback on the question"

I would hope no one throws flame over something like this.  I
believe this is one thing a NOG is for and hope anyone would feel
comfortable asking these questions here.  We all learn better in
a collaborative environment.

::  Recently I was asked the question in an Interview that why
:: cannot we simply route v4 in an v6 network without the help
:: of a Tunneling protocol or such.

Your question is not answered by this part of my response, but
for others the tunneling protocols are a transition mechanism,
which should be avoided at this point for many networks.  Opt
for dual stack when designing an IPv6/IPv4 network.  The two
tunneling transition mechanisms are 4in6 and 6in4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6in4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4in6

The reason you can't do it without a tunnel is the protocols are
not compatible with each other.  If an IPv4 address showed up on
an IPv6 interface the receiving router would have no idea what
to do with it.  Likewise, if an IPv6 addressed packet showed up
on an IPv4 interface the router has no idea what to do with it.
In both cases the packet would be dropped as it's not understood.
Perhaps that'd show up in the interface errors as an "unknown
protocol"?

The tunnels are a way to 'hide' the underlying protocol from the
transporting protocol until the underlying protocol's packet gets
to a router that understands it.

Hopefully, someone with more experience than me can speak up
with better details that I used.

scott