[bdNOG] Cisco VPN Router

Aniruddha Barua aniruddha.barua at colbd.com
Fri Nov 15 18:33:18 BDT 2013

Dear Mr. Momen,

I believe you are asking the question considering the entire architecture, not just from the customer (Bank) or the provider (SP) point of view. If a bank wants to connect their branch routers in Layer 2 over SP network, the SP has to give them either GRE based tunnels (Mikrotik's EoIP or PPTP-Bridge etc., are common technics) or MPLS Layer 2 (EoMPLS, VPLS etc.). If a bank wants to connect the branch routers in Layer 3 over SP network, the SP can give them anything from simple routing (Static or Dynamic) to plain VRF (i.e. VRF Lite) to MPLS Layer 3 to even dedicated fiber (this is too much though!!).

To maintain information security and confidentiality, regardless of what the SP is providing in its infrastructure, the bank has to encrypt-decrypt (mostly with IPSec) its traffic in between its routers, which will pass through either the Layer 2 tunnels or the Layer 3 routed paths provided by the SP.

My question to all is, should banks demand a specific technology like VRF or MPLS or any other from the SP as long as their requirements are met perfectly well by the SP using its current technologies?

bdNOG mailing list is on the jazz today. Regards to all,

ANIRUDDHA BARUA
Email: aniruddha.barua at colbd.com, cto at colbd.com
Cell: +880.1713.111222
Web: http://www.colbd.com