[bdNOG] IX and Local Peering

Fakrul Alam fakrul at bdhub.com
Mon Nov 25 13:32:45 BDT 2013

There are few issues (as my observation) when IIG connects with IX.

1. If both IIG & ISP are connected with IX, there is a chance that ISP
become transit for that IIG for other domestic traffic if Prefix
Filtering/AS Filter is not precise.

2. As Philip says; in IX "local traffic becomes limited by the physical
capacity to the IX, not by a bank balance." If IIG connects with IX;
definitely it will increase end user experience; but IIG shape ISP b/w
based on there subscribed b/w; regardless of international or domestic
traffic.

3. AFAIK, BDIX right now only allow IIG originated prefix (^$); not
customer prefix. If this is the case, only upload traffic will be gone
via IX; return packet will follow internet.

--
Pappu