[bdNOG] Help secure the Internet -- A research survey on evaluating the perception of security

Ragib Hasan ragibhasan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 00:51:04 BDT 2014

Dear BDNOG members,

It was a pleasure to meet many of you during the BDNOG1 summit in May. I am
writing today for some help regarding a problem Internet users and network
operators all face: how well the users perceive the importance of security,
and what the users are doing in practice to secure their systems and
services.

http://secret.cis.uab.edu/user-survey

I am conducting this academic research study to understand user perception
and develop strong authentication mechanisms based on that. The survey
won't collect any personal information and will not ask for your email
address ... we only ask you a few questions about your security knowledge,
and it will take only 2 minutes to answer.

Can you please answer this and forward this to your friends and colleagues?
(This study has been approved by the UAB Office of the Institutional Review
Board, under Protocol Number: E140903001).

The survey is available in 7 languages including English, Bangla, Nepali,
Chinese, Arabic, Persian, and Spanish.

Thanks a lot to the participants in advance.

-----
*Academic Research Survey on Internet Safety*

http://secret.cis.uab.edu/user-survey

How safe are we on the Internet? How much are we aware about the safety and
security of our passwords? How knowledgeable is the typical Internet user
about strong authentication techniques?

To answer this questions, Dr. Ragib Hasan, an Assistant Professor of
Computer and Information Sciences at the University of Alabama at
Birmingham, has started a large scale survey of Internet users. The survey
questionnaire can be accessed here (http://secret.cis.uab.edu/user-survey),
and it is now available in multiple languages to account for the diversity
of Internet users all over the world.

This is a academic research study and no personal information will be
needed (We do not ask for anyone's email addresses or other contact info).
All it takes is just 2 minutes of your time.

Please help us design strong authentication systems that will secure the
Internet. Click here to access the survey page and choose the survey in
your language: http://secret.cis.uab.edu/user-survey

(This research has been approved by UAB Office of the IRB, under Protocol
Number: E140903001)

Ragib

--
Ragib Hasan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor & Director, UAB SECRETLab
Department of Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, AL 35294

http://secret.cis.uab.edu
http://www.ragibhasan.com